High School Volleyball Information:
Thanks for your interest in forming a CYO High School Volleyball team. These leagues create a fun opportunity for high school aged girls to compete against their peers across the area. This page provides an overview of the process for creating a team and seeks to answer frequently asked questions. Our CYO Rules of Competition also include valuable information regarding these leagues and can be found here.
Creating a Team
The following is a step-by-step guide to the requirements for creating a high school volleyball team to compete in the CYO league.
1. Pre-Participation Physical. Your child’s health and safety is of the utmost importance to our CYO. All CYO participants will be required to have a pre-participation physical completed and submitted prior to participating in CYO activities.
2. Find Team Members. Create a team from any eligible students grades 9-12. Eligible students include members of any CYO or Kansas City Parochial League (KCPL) parish, or students at the area Catholic high schools in Kansas and Missouri (see Rules of Competition for more information). Keep in mind that although you can create a team with just six players, stiff penalties for forfeits mean you should probably have at least a few players on the bench each game so that you can always field a full team. Also, keep in mind that teams are split by grade level (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior leagues). If you have a mix of grades, you will likely be placed in the older age group.
3. Find a Sponsoring Parish. All CYO high school teams must be sponsored by a parish in either the CYO or KCPL (see Rules). Once you have a team in order, contact a parish to request sponsorship. Most teams contact a parish where one of their participants is a registered member and/or played CYO sports through 8th grade. A list of Athletic Director contacts for the Kansas side can be found here and information from the KCPL website can be accessed here. The Athletic Director of your sponsoring parish will need a team roster, coach information, and the payment of team fees. The team fee for the 2017 season is $500 per team. The initial deadline for entry varies by parish and is usually August 24th, so make sure you do this early. If you miss the initial deadline, there is an option for late registration through September 8th. See the calendar for dates. Also, please be sure that you submit any schedule conflicts (i.e. high school events/activities) to your parish along with registration. We can't guarantee working around these, but we give priority to parish & Catholic high school conflicts while creating the schedule.
4. Register Online. Each member of the team must register online individually ($25 fee per player) on the CYO website by the registration deadline (on the calendar). Follow the directions and be sure to submit payment. Keep your receipt for documentation. You must register online in order to be placed on a roster and be eligible for the season. Register HERE.
5. Get Uniforms. CYO High School Basketball uniforms are required for participation in volleyball leagues. So long as it meets requirements, you may use your basketball uniform from past years or purchase a new one through CenterSports (located College and Pflumm in Lenexa). You can now order your uniform online through Center Sports by clicking here!
Again, the CYO Basketball uniform is what will be used for CYO Volleyball.
6. Let the Games Begin! Games begin Saturday, September 16th and continue through the tournament in on October 21st.
Excerpt from Rules of Competition:
1. A minimum of six teams must enter the volleyball program before the program is offered. CYO special volleyball rules apply to the high school program with the following exceptions.
A. Scorekeeper and timer provided.
B. LENGTH OF MATCH – Each match will consist of three games. Each game played for 15 minutes regardless of the score. Need not win by two points, one point is required.
C. TOURNAMENTS – Best two out of three games determines match winner. Games one and two shall be played to 25 points, no cap. Game three shall be played to 15 points, no camp. Winning team must have two-point advantage.