*The following is from the CYO Rules of Competition. The entirety of these rules can be found on this website by visiting the “CYO Rules of Competition” link under the Administration tab in the navigation bar.
ARTICLE V – ELIGIBILITY
SECTION 1. In order to participate in the athletic program sponsored by the CYO, each member must be registered with the school or parish they represent and the regional CYO Office.
SECTION 2. Being ―registered‖ means that an individual CYO member has on file with the regional CYO Office a completed, current CYO Registration/Parent Release Form giving his/her name, address, school or parish, date of birth, and signature of a parent attesting to the physical condition of the member. (―Current‖ is a school year that falls within the dates of June 1 through May 31 of that particular school year.) Both the member and the parent must sign the form attesting to the accuracy of the information. A completed Official CYO Roster form giving the member’s name, address, and date of birth must be received by the regional CYO Office to complete the registration.
SECTION 3. All Contestants in the grade school program must be within the age limit as of September 1, of the current school year hereinafter set forth.
- Any child who has reached the third (3rd) grade by September 1 of the current school year will be eligible to participate in athletics
- In the third grade, a child must not have reached his/her tenth birthday; Fourth grade – Eleventh; Fifth grade – Twelfth; Sixth grade – Thirteen; Seventh grade – Fourteen; Eighth grade – Fifteen.; High School – Nineteen
- AGE REQUIREMENT HARDSHIP APPEAL – (exceeding age requirement only) – The Executive Board may waive provisions of the age requirement rule, provided, through a personal interview of the student and parent(s), the following criteria are met:
- A maximum of one year (12 months) from b. listed above will be considers except for football. Football, there shall be a maximum deviation of 5 months (March 1 in lieu of August 1).
- Hardship letter of request must be submitted by the parent(s) and the specific sports must be identified.
- Student’s physical or mental maturity would not take advantage of or jeopardize the health and safety of other participants.
- If the executive Board declares the student eligible, he or she shall be eligible upon notification and ONLY for the sports programs approved.
SECTION 4. All contestants participating in the Grade School CYO program must be members of the parish or attend the parish school of the parish they represent.
- For Territorial Parishes, those residing within the boundaries of the parish
- For National Parishes, those of the particular nationality who reside within the diocese and are not Subject to boundaries.
- If a player starts the schedule with a parish team and later moves out of the parish, then he/she may Complete the season with the parish provided he/she has played at least three games while still a resident thereof, or he/she may transfer to the team of his /her new parish.
- If a student(s) and parent(s) are not members of the parish or the student(s) dose not attend the parish school but the parent(s) is employed by the parish, the parent(s) may seek a waiver of the parish membership or school attendance requirement by appeal to the Executive Board. The parent(s) must submit in writing the request to the Executive Board. Any student declared eligible shall be considered in attendance of the parish school and/or a member of the parish in which the parent(s) is employed.
SECTION 5. Any child who otherwise meets all requirements of eligibility but is prohibited from competing due to the failure of his/her parish to field a team may submit his/her name to the CYO Office for assignment to another parish team for competition before deadlines for each sport as set forth by the Executive Board and shown on the Official CYO Calendar.
- A student assigned to an outside parish for participation is considered a member of that parish only for the activity requested and granted for the remainder of his or her elementary school CYO participation. If the parish in which the student is a member and or attends the parish school provides a team for the student to participate; the student will have a one time option to remain with the assigned parish or return to the students home parish.