Thanks for your interest in forming a CYO High School Basketball team. With 100+ teams in 2010-2011, these leagues create a fun opportunity for high school aged boys and girls in Kansas and Missouri to compete against their peers across the area. This page provides an overview of the process for creating a team and seeks to answer frequently asked questions. Our CYO Rules of Competition also include valueable information regarding these leagues and can be found on the Rules page of this website or by clicking the link below.
Creating a Team
The following is a step-by-step guide to the requirements for creating a high school basketball team to compete in the CYO league.
1. Find Team Members. Create a team from any eligible students grades 9-12. Eligible students include members of any CYO or Kansas City Parochial League (KCPL) parish, or students at the area Catholic high schools in Kansas and Missouri (see Rules of Competition for more information). Keep in mind that although you can create a team with just five players, stiff penalties for forfeits mean you should probably have at least a few players on the bench each game so that you can always field a full team. Also, keep in mind that teams are split by grade level in both boys and girls leagues (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior leagues). If you have a mix of grades, you will likely be placed in the older age group.
2. Find a Sponsoring Parish. All CYO high school teams must be sponsored by a parish in either the CYO or KCPL (see Rules). Once you have a team in order, contact a parish to request sponsorship. Most teams contact a parish where one of their participants is a registered member and/or played CYO sports through 8th grade. A list of Athletic Director contacts for the Kansas side can be found here and information from the KCPL website can be accessed here. The Athletic Director of your sponsoring parish will need a team roster, coach information, and the payment of team fees. The initial deadline for entry varies by parish and is usually in mid-late November, so make sure you do this early (don't worry, if you miss the initial deadline there is an option for late registration in December so that your team can join our leagues for play in January).
3. Register Online. Each member of the team must register online individually on the CYO website by the registration deadline (on the calendar). The link for registration can be found on the top navigation bar of this website. Follow the directions and be sure to submit payment. Keep your receipt for documentation. You must register online in order to be placed on a roster and be eligible for the season.
4. Get Uniforms. CYO High School uniforms are required for participation in these leagues. So long as it meets requirements, you may use your uniform from past years or purchase a new one through CenterSports (located College and Pflumm in Lenexa). See CYO Rules of Competition for more details.
5. Let the Games Begin! Games begin the first weekend in December and continue through the tournament in late February.
For more information on CYO High School Basketball, contact your sponsoring parish or the CYO Office.